The current Governor’s Residence was completed in 1968 and was designed by Philadelphia architect George M. Ewing.
Approximately 12,000 people visit the Residence annually for tours and community events.
The first official Governor’s Residence was purchased in 1858 and was located on South Second Street in Harrisburg.
The gardens are composed of the Jane Shafer Rose Garden, Penn’s Woods, the Susquehanna Garden and the West Lawn.
The Governor’s Residence was LEED Gold Certified in 2010 by the U.S. Green Building Council. LEED certified buildings save money and resources and have a positive impact on the health of occupants, while promoting renewable, clean energy.